Monday, October 5, 2009

Typos

Over the weekend I was reading an essay lamenting the loss of our ability to write crusive script. The writer said that the art of actually writing a letter is lost to Tweets, Facebook posts, texting, e-mails, etc. I was impressed that someone actually took time to pen an essay on this dying art form.

Then I realized that he must have written the essay first in long hand, because had he used a computer program, his most annoying typo would have been caught. First, he lamented "correspondance" instead of "correspondence." Not once but four times. When I thought it was safe to keep reading came the better typo -- and the one which might really represent the writer's state of mind. Gone was "correspondance" and in its place was "correspondense." I leave it up to you to decide if the latter was more representative.

Reminded me of a diligent student when I was teaching comparative literature at USC (the one in California). After reading an otherwise decent homework assignment, I was forced to write "heroin is not equal to heroine" on the board.

Is it just me????? I know I have lost my sense of humor about not using a dictionary. Buy one. Use it. If you use spell check, check to be sure the word is actually right before accept its authenticity.

2 comments:

  1. When I taught freshman grammar & comp, I was amazed how many students wrote, "I defiantly believe. . . ."

    Were they rebellious, or did they just select the first choice that spell-check gave them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's hilarious! You English professors crack me up. Today, my ODU professor talked about the Tom Hanks movie, Saving Ryan's Privates. I almost fell out of my chair laughing. Good thing the class is via satellite.

    ReplyDelete